Windows makes this way harder than it should be. Sorry, I wish this was easier. For the Mac version, all you have to do is unzip and run the application… Anyways, here are the steps to get it running on Windows:
- Install the OpenNI binary. You can get it here
- Install the PrimeSense Middleware. You can get it here. During installation, enter the key “0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4=”
- Install the SensorKinect driver. You can get it here
- Restart your computer (For real, guys!)
- Plug in your Kinect to your computer’s USB port (make sure you plug it into the wall, too). It should automatically recognize it and set it up with the SensorKinect drivers.
- Unzip Synapse-Win.zip
- If running Synapse.exe complains with the error “To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework…”, it means you’re missing some junk from Microsoft. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en and click “Download”.
- If running Synapse.exe complains that it’s missing msvcp100.dll, you’re missing some more junk. Install this: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555 and restart your computer.
- Otherwise, you’re set! Just run Synapse.exe and enjoy!
If you have any problems running Synapse:
You should see if you can run NiViewer in Start->Programs->OpenNI->Samples. If you can’t, the SensorKinect drivers probably didn’t install properly. Go into your Device Manager and uninstall any drivers you may already have for the Kinect and install SensorKinect again. When it’s installed properly, after you plug in the Kinect you should see “PrimeSense” in your Device Manager with “Kinect Audio”, “Kinect Camera”, and “Kinect Motor” under it.